Created on January 1, 2009, New Heights Lutheran Church (formerly known as New Heights Lutheran Parish) is a family-focused, faith community comprised of two campuses, one in Black Earth and the other in Mazomanie. Come and see the exciting ministry that has resulted from the partnership between these two churches! St. John's Lutheran congregation has been in existence for over 110 years, dating back to 1890, when services were conducted in what is now the Mazomanie Post Office. In 1920, the congregation purchased the stone German Methodist church on State Street, which became St. John's Lutheran Church.
St. John's worship building has undergone several major facelifts over the years. The most notable reminder of the 1947 building renovation is the engraving of "St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church" above the church's entrance. The distinctive bulletin board that still graces the front lawn of St. John's was part of a member volunteer renovation in 1957. To meet the needs of an expanding membership, the congregation planned and completed the Educational Parish Hall in 1970-71. And in 2001-02, member volunteers performed the church's most extensive reconstruction, resulting in the beautification of the sanctuary, as it exists today.
Over the years, St. John's has been a member of several multiple point parishes. In 1950, it joined with Immanuel Lutheran Church of Mt. Horeb and St. Martin's Lutheran Church of Cross Plains. From 1955 through 1961, St. John's and St. Martin's formed a two-point parish. In 1963, another two point parish alignment was made with Christ Lutheran Church in Spring Green. In 1981, St. John's combined with Our Saviour's and Vermont Lutheran to form the Wisconsin Heights Lutheran Parish, which existed until June, 2006. Beginning July 1, 2006, St. John's and Our Saviour's joined forces under the parish name of "New Heights Lutheran Parish."
In April 1904, a movement was started to secure a church building in the village of Black Earth. It was decided that if subscriptions of $1,200 could be secured by the soliciting committee, the congregation would build a church building. While the building was being built by gentlemen of the congregation, many organization and other donations, the building was paid off in 1910. Prior to that time, services were held in the Methodist and Congregational churches in the village. The congregation was legally incorporated and adopted its constitution in June 1905.
As the year passed, more subscriptions were sold by the growing committee and items such as the following were bought and paid for: the bell, used for the first time Easter morning of 1905; the interior decoration and paintings by J.P. Moe and Son of Mt. Horeb, and altar statues.
Throughout the history of Black Earth Lutheran Church, activities were of utmost importance....the Sunday School Program, Lutheran Children of the Reformation, Luther League, Ladies Aid, Brotherhood, Choir, etc.
In 1960, land was purchased at the edge of the village of Black Earth for a new church building. The building of the present church was begun in 1962. Dedication services of this beautifully unique and contemporary building were
held in January of 1966. Again, through the generous donations of its members and friends, much of the interior and exterior are from local entities.
The church most recently completed an entire renovation of the inner sanctuary including the replacement of carpeting throughout the facility. Although much of the stone accents that had graced the pulpit area were removed, they now beautify the entrance to the building as seating benches near the floral gardens that greet churchgoers.